Cinema Veterinary Centre

More Holiday Hazards for Pets

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 by jronchetto  | Tags: pet safety, holiday tips  | Comments (0)


'Tis the holiday season and being aware of these common holiday hazards will help you to keep your four-legged family members days merry and bright. Happy Holidays!!

  • Remember that many of  our favorite foods at this time of year can cause problems for you pets. Keep these tempting foods out of pet's reach: Alcohol, chocolate (all types, but the darker it is then the more dangerous it can be), coffee (grouds and beans), onions and onion powder, garlic,  fatty foods, salt, yeast dough.
  • Holiday flower arrangements are pretty but some plants can be toxic and cause gastrointestinal upset, lethargy, and even kidney failure in kitties. Keep dogs and cats away from plants like poinsettias,lilies, mistletoe and holly.
  • Christmas tree water, if it containes fertilizers, can cause gastrointestinal upset.  The stagnant water can be home to a great number of bacteria as well.
  • Hanukkah and Kwanzaa candls can cause burns or start fires if not secured.  Keep animals away from these as well as any exposed electrical cords which curious kitties could chew on causing burns and electrocution.
  • Ribbons and tinsel can be a notorious temptation, especially for cats. But if ingested can get tied around tongues or caught in the intestines causing obstruction.
  • Please call ASCPA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-4ANI-HELP should you suspect that your pet has ingested something poisonous.
  • We will be closed on December 24th and 25th in observance of Christmas.

(Ref from the ASPCA and PETA)


Comments (0)


Add a Comment






Allowed tags: <b><i><br>Add a new comment: