Cinema Veterinary Centre
HOW TO WIN THE BARKING DOG BATTLE
Posted on Apr 06, 2017 by deborah
Tips to try for a more peaceful pooch
How to win the barking dog battle!!
Try these tips for a more peaceful pooch:
1. Identify what could be triggering the barking.
Common triggers include:
- Sounds outside (and above, below and beside you if you live in an apartment)
- Dogs, other animals, or people seen from windows
- Environmental changes such as construction
- Illness or aging changes that cause discomfort, anxiety or confusion
- Separation distress
Tip: Videotaping your dog can help you identify triggers.
2. Modify the triggers
- Play white noise, calming music, or turn on the television
- Apply opaque static window film to block common window watching spots.
- Increase physical and mental exercise (e.g., puzzle feeders, games, training, walks).
- Schedule a time to bring your dog to the clinic for a physical exam and a behavior discussion.
- Consider a dog walker, pet sitter or doggie daycare.
3. Stay calm
- Avoid scolding, physical corrections or electric bark collars, which can increase the stress and anxiety.
- Teach the dog how to be calm and quiet. A positive-reinforcement-based dog trainer can help.
- Remote training machines that strategically dispense treats can be effective-especially when you’re away from home. Ask your veterinarian for recommendations.